Disorderly conduct in DC?
Rollins and Chan Law Firm
You Have Questions We have Answers
CONTACT US TODAY
Please fill out the form and we will get back to you shortly.
What is Disorderly Conduct in DC
What is disorderly conduct in DC? Disorderly conduct codified at DC Code 22-1321, is a misdemeanor charge in Washington, D.C. Any conduct that is open to the general public that:
- cause another person to be in reasonable fear that a person or property in a person’s immediate possession is likely to be harmed or taken;
- Incite or provoke violence where there is a likelihood that such violence will ensue; or
- Direct abusive or offensive language or gestures at another person (other than a law enforcement officer while acting in his or her official capacity) in a manner likely to provoke immediate physical retaliation or violence by that person or another person.
- engage in loud, threatening, or abusive language, or disruptive conduct, with the intent and effect of impeding or disrupting the orderly conduct of a lawful public gathering
- engage in loud, threatening, or abusive language, or disruptive conduct with the intent and effect of impeding or disrupting the lawful use of a public conveyance by one or more other persons
- engage in loud, threatening, or abusive language, or disruptive conduct in a public building with the intent and effect of impeding or disrupting the orderly conduct of business in that public building
- make an unreasonably loud noise between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. that is likely to annoy or disturb one or more other persons in their residences
- for a person to urinate or defecate in public, other than in a urinal or toilet
- person to stealthily look into a window or other opening of a dwelling, as defined in § 6-101.07, under circumstances in which an occupant would have a reasonable expectation of privacy
- breach of the peace may be occasioned, to interfere with any person in any public place by jostling against the person, unnecessarily crowding the person, or placing a hand in the proximity of the person’s handbag, pocketbook, or wallet.
Is Playing my Music to loud considered Disorderly Conduct?
Yes if you play music louder than what a reasonable person would play. Unreasonable sound has been defined as anything greater than 60 decibels. To put into perspective normal conversation is about 60 dB, a lawn mower is about 90 dB, and a loud rock concert is about 120 dB. You should also note that between the hours of 10:00 pm and 7:00 am you should not go above 55 decibels.
This is sound limits in the District of Columbia
- Commercial 65 dB 60 dB
- Industrial 70 dB 65 dB
- Residential, Waterfront, Special Use 60 dB 55 dB
- Other Zone 60 db 60 db
Is cursing at someone considered disorderly conduct in DC?
No, generally you can curse someone out as long as the cursing is not impeding or disrupting the orderly conduct of a lawful public gathering.
What is the maximum Penalty for Disorderly Conduct
The maximum penalty for disorderly conduct in the District of Columbia is 90 days and/or $500.00 dollars.
How are most Disorderly Conduct Cases resolved in DC Superior Court?
Obviously, disorderly conduct is not the crime of the century. The District of Columbia does not stand to benefit by getting a conviction so we can resolve most cases through some form of diversion. Diversion is a way to resolve the case without a conviction.
Can I seal my disorderly conduct charge in DC
If you received diversion and you want to seal your arrest record you have to wait 2 years before you can file a motion to seal the record.
By: Vargha Tebyanian
I was very impressed
I was very impressed by the knowledge, professionalism, efficiency, responsiveness, and attention to detail that these 2 amazing attorneys manifested through my experience with them. They listened to all of my concerns and addressed each issue one at a time and took the time to explain everything in lengthy detail. This made me feel comfortable and they delivered on what I requested from them exactly as they promised. I HIGHLY recommend these 2 for your legal services. I promise you, you will not find a better duo., A++
5 / 5 stars